Unable to Startx Following Upgrade--Error in Locking Authority File

Bob Perry rperry at gti.net
Mon Jan 30 15:13:13 PST 2006

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Bob Perry <rperry at gti.net> writes:
>

>> Bingo! It works...but what is a stale authority file and how do you
>> avoid them?
>>

> "Stale" is a technical term that means pretty much the same thing it
> does in your kitchen:  something that should've been thrown out before
> now.  I haven't seen one in a long time, so I'm not sure where yours
> came from, but a system crash might leave one behind.

This is getting curiouser and curiouser.  As mentioned, I was able to
access my GNOME display but noticed that the screen resolution was
640x480.  As a matter of fact, it was the only option available when I
tried to change it in the GNOME screen resolution dialogue box.  While
troubleshooting the issue, I was surprised when I ran startx again and
encountered the very same error which prevented me from gaining access
to the GNOME desktop originally.

Any ideas for next steps?

Thnx,
Bob Perry