What functionality is provided by minimal install

Eric Schultz eric at schultznet.ca
Mon Jan 30 10:42:24 PST 2006

Good afternoon...

I did a minimal install from a 4.7 mini disc (yes 4.7, but this question
could be quite generic) and I was wondering what I got.  I know from the
sysintall help that a Minimal install is "just the base system."  But
what _functionality_ is provided by a *base system*???

I did an ls -lR from the root of my machine after the installation to
see what files I got.

I also added the man pages distribution, did another ls -lR, then added
the ports collection and did a third ls -lR (this one was over 4 MBs,
time to see if gzip is included with Minimal!!!).  So I can lookup what
files I got each time; and I figure I can /man/ every file /bin, /sbin,
/whatever/bin  but I was hoping that might already be documented somewhere.

So far Googling and searching gmane.org have not shown-up anything like
what I'm looking for (The Handbook's section 2.6 does not provide any
detail either).  Can anyone point me to a source?  Or let me know what I
should do with that info if I end-up compiling it myself?

Thanks.

--
Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...

   Eric Schultz
   (aka Storkman)

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/schultznet
Homepage: http://www.schultznet.ca