Answering machine / voicemail --> email?

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 02:59:54 PST 2006

On 1/29/06, Nick Triantos <nick-gmane at triantos.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a decently fast server with FreeBSD 5.4.  I'd like to set up
> a way that the box can act as a voicemail server, and turn the messages into
> emails.
>
> I see Asterisk as a possible solution, but it seems awfully heavyweight for
> what I want.  Are there any lighter-weight ways to achieve this?
>
> If Asterisk is the way to go, what's the cheapest modem card I can buy (for
> a PCI Express-based Dell SC 420) that can answer the phone, and let the machine
> receive these calls?  It's for use in my home, so it's only 1 analog phone
> line running into the house right now.

You want the Sipura SPA-3000 ($100)
http://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=203

With this device and Asterisk you can convert your whole house to
VoIP, without needing SIP phones or analog adapters for each device.

Phone line coming into the house --> SPA-3000 (FXO port) --> SPA-3000
(Ethernet port) --> Asterisk Server --> SPA-3000 (Ethernet port) -->
SPA-3000 (FXS Port) --> Phones.

Download (513MB) and watch this video, everything will then make sense:
http://downloads.revision3.com/torrents/systm/0005/systm--0005--asterisk--large.xvid.avi.torrent

Go here too: http://revision3.com/systm/asterisk/