FreeBSD 6.0: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop -> mouse not working???

FreeBSD Prospect mailings.freebsd at o0l0o.org
Mon Jan 30 00:58:56 PST 2006

Am Sonntag, 29. Januar 2006 18:57 schrieb FreeBSD Prospect:

> Using the GENERIC kernel, USB is enabled (ohci & ehci on an Asus A7N8X
> deluxe motherboard), the mouse is found during boot as follows:
>
> ----- cut -----
> # cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep ums
> ums0: Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop\M-. 1.00, rev
> 2.00/17.17, addr 3, iclass 3/1
> ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.
> ----- cut -----

Some more digging led me to this bug:

It is about a similar mouse, but the identification is different (0x0063), and
keyboard + mouse show up only as one entry due to the wireless receiver).

I applied the first set of patches mentioned in that bugreport, and recompiled
the kernel, but it did not work (I assume those patches apply especially for
the MS Wireless Optical Mouse, although I changed the necessary
identification parts in those patches). The only difference I could observe
was, that the mouse LED was flickering when moved (instead of beeing steady
before applying the patch).

In the meantime I found another idea, to try to use the wireless receiver with
a USB->PS/2 mouse adapter, and that approach indeed worked! So using the PS/2
connectors for keyboard + mouse for that MS Wireless Optical Desktop seems to
be the solution.

Nevertheless there is no doubt, that there is a bug in /usr/src/sys/dev/ums.c,
so I will send a message to the freebsd-usb mailinglist (or should I submit a
bug-report by myself?).

Sincerely,
Michael

--
A FreeBSD Prospect, who is actually using Gentoo Linux