Number of files

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Sat Jan 28 15:39:37 PST 2006

> Hi list!
>
> I have a 4.11 server wich have been running successfully, for som years now.
> One directory is containing images, and this directory is growing really
> fast.
>
> My question is; how many files can a directory contain, totally?

It depends on the number of inodes that were built when the file system
was created.   That depends on the values on the newfs(8) command.
Check out the -i and -g parameters on newfs, for example.

The number of files is very very large in the default case and
can be made much larger.

the df(1) command can give you information on the number of inodes
that were built on the file system and how many are still available.
Check out the -i flag on the df command.

////jerry