Snort - Separate Sensor and Data Collector Boxes?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sat Jan 28 14:32:54 PST 2006

I want to learn about Snort and started Googling.  I found a couple of
docs that indicate I can install Snort on a "sensor" box and then run
ACID, Apache, MySQL, etc. on a "data collector" box.  Am I understanding
correctly?

The box I want to use as the "data collector" already has all the
requirements except ACID.  I used 'portinstall' and it wants to pull in
Snort as a dependency.  If my understanding above is correct, how can I
tell the ACID port not to pull in Snort?

Also any recommendations for newbie docs for learning about this would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

--