Portsnap

Donald J. O'Neill donaldjoneill at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 13:27:07 PST 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 13:36, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I just started using 'portsnap' on my FreeBSD 5.4 PC. If I were to
> run cvsup again, and perhaps 'portsdb -Uu' would that cause a problem
> if 'portsnap' were run again? Would I have to run the extract command
> again to initialize the ports tree?
>
> Thanks

My personal opinion is: you're going to be unhappy if you do that. The
first time you use portsnap, it takes a while, but after that initial
use and setup, nothing can touch it for speed.

I used to use portsdb once upon a time, but the ruby bug finally hit me
and I had to look for other means to accomplish the same task. Now I
use portversion (`portversion -v | grep needs` updates portsdb, pkgdb
and outputs a list of packages needing updating) which does it faster
and better.

Sorry Gerard, I used the wrong email address.

Don