Kernel Compile Question

Graham Bentley gbentley at uk2.net
Sat Jan 28 07:14:56 PST 2006

Hi All,

I have just been testing www.raqdevil.com
which is coming along nicely :)

I decide to recompile the stock 6.0 kernel
and strip out all the stuff I would not be
using on my 'web appliance' (LPT, Serial,
Firewire, USB) I think I have got my kernel
down as small as I can (about 2.8 MB)
however I have noticed at the end of
dmesg.today there are some references
to usb ? Is support being loaded from
modules ? I have added usb_load="NO"
to /boot/loader.conf - will this prevent
the usb module being loaded. My kernel
conf file is below. If there is anythig else I
can remove to squeeze it down a bit more
or if you have any other advice it would be
great to hear it :)

machine i386
makeoptions COPTFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math"
cpu I686_CPU
ident GENERIC
options SCHED_ULE # ULE scheduler
options PREEMPTION # Enable kernel thread preemption
options INET # InterNETworking
options INET6 # IPv6 communications protocols
options FFS # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options SOFTUPDATES # Enable FFS soft updates support
options UFS_ACL # Support for access control lists
options UFS_DIRHASH # Improve performance on big directories
options MD_ROOT # MD is a potential root device
options PROCFS # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options PSEUDOFS # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options GEOM_GPT # GUID Partition Tables.
options COMPAT_43 # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options COMPAT_FREEBSD4 # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options COMPAT_FREEBSD5 # Compatible with FreeBSD5
options SCSI_DELAY=5000 # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options KTRACE # ktrace(1) support
options SYSVSHM # SYSV-style shared memory
options SYSVMSG # SYSV-style message queues
options SYSVSEM # SYSV-style semaphores
options _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions
options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options ADAPTIVE_GIANT # Giant mutex is adaptive.
device apic # I/O APIC
device isa
device pci
device fdc
device ata
device atadisk # ATA disk drives
device ahc # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
device scbus # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device ch # SCSI media changers
device sa # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device pass # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device ses # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)
device atkbdc # AT keyboard controller
device atkbd # AT keyboard
device vga # VGA video card driver
device sc # syscons is the default console driver
device apm
device pmtimer
device miibus # MII bus support
device vr # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
device loop # Network loopback
device random # Entropy device
device ether # Ethernet support
device tun # Packet tunnel.
device pty # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device md # Memory "disks"
device gif # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device faith # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
device bpf # Berkeley packet filter