A strategic question

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 27 23:02:28 PST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 6:16 PM, Jozef Baum wrote:

> This posting doesn't contain a technical question about FreeBSD,
> rather a
> strategic one.
>
> Some time ago, I wanted to migrate to a Unix environment, because I
> wanted
> to have a secure, stable, convenient and efficient environment for
> developing and running programs, no longer having to buy a new PC
> with a new
> OS and applications software every 3 years to support Bill Gates'
> only goal
> (becoming and remaining the richest man of the USA). At the end of
> the 20th
> century, it took us only a few years to have to upgrade from Win 95
> to Win
> 95SE, to Win 98, to Win 98SE, and to Win ME, only to remain with a
> poor OS.
> Now, when reinstalling my version of Windows XP, it takes me more
> time to
> download and install the SP2 than to install Windows XP. I wonder
> how people
> with a low-bandwidth Internet connection do to download the SP2 for
> Windows
> XP.
>
> I downloaded Solaris 10 and a lot of documentation about it, then
> installed
> Solaris 10. As opposed to Linux and free BSD implementations of UNIX,
> Solaris looks like a professionally developed operating system. It
> seems to
> be1 a very advanced operating system. However, I soon realized
> that, when
> one wants a yacht, it is not a good idea to acquire the Queen Mary
> II, just
> as it costs too much time to acquire a hotel to have a cup of coffee.
>
> Then I downloaded what I thought being one of the best Linux
> distributions,
> Suse Linux. I tried to install it, but the system got locked up by
> something
> so stupid as my nVidia modem. Together with the heterogeneous
> quality of
> Linux components, and not at all liking Linus Torvald's arrogance,
> I decided
> to abandon Linux.
>
> I came to FreeBSD, with the idea that it had a more homogeneous
> quality
> development model, downloaded the FreeBSD 6.0 boot CD and CD 1 and
> 2, and
> installed it on my PC, following the handbook.
>
> I knew UNIX is a toolkit intended to IT knowledge people, so it
> will never
> perform a breakthrough to the average desktop user. But my
> disappointment
> with FreeBSD was great.
>
> In fact, to install FreeBSD, one needs already a lot of knowledge
> about the
> system. To acquire that knowledge, one needs experience on an
> installed
> system. But to have an installed system, one needs already a lot of
> [...]

	Btw, until you've worked with Unix for a few years (approximately
3.5 now), so don't complain if things don't go as you expect.
	I started with Redhat, went to Debian, FreeBSD, Fedora Core 1,
Gentoo, and now I'm in between a flux of Gentoo, FreeBSD and Mac OSX
(in many ways a FreeBSD equivalent). Doesn't mean I like GUI... in
fact I love my CLI, thank you.
	Also, until you've installed Unix OSes more than 30 times, don't
complain to me. I'm sure there are others on this list who have done
it quite a bit more as well as quite a bit less.
-Garrett