A strategic question

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Jan 27 20:07:11 PST 2006

--On January 28, 2006 3:16:04 AM +0100 Jozef Baum <jozef.baum at telenet.be>
wrote:

> This posting doesn't contain a technical question about FreeBSD, rather a
> strategic one.

You need to try Gentoo.

Seriously, though, did you follow the install document?  I came from where
you are - Windows -> Unix.  In Windows, you throw the documentation in the
trash and double click on setup.exe.  Click on Next, Next, Next, Are you
Sure?, Next, Next, Finish.  Unix requires you to *prepare* before you
install, by actually reading the docs.  That will require a change of
habits (although I still do things the Windows way when I'm working in
Windows.)

Read the docs first.  Then try installing.  You'll be much happier.
Here's the Handbook -
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/>
That should be your "bible".  The first chapter is "Installing FreeBSD".
Read it.  Print it out.  Follow it closely.  You won't be sorry.

Oh, and learn vi.   Almost every Unix system comes with vi by default but
*not* some of the other editors people like to use (like pico or emacs.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member