Setting up Sound Blaster Pro card

Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:57:53 PST 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I am trying to set up my sound card and I am finding some difficulties.

First, here is the description of the hardware. I use Acer TravelMate
4060 laptop with 512 MB RAM with Intel Chipset 915GM. The Audio
Section taken directly from the laptop's user guide is:
Audio system with two built-in speakers
Built-in microphone
Sound Blaster Pro and MS Sound compatible.

Second, the FreeBSD version is
$ uname -a
FreeBSD petya.myhome.westell.com 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0:
Fri Jan 27 03:08:18 EET 2006
root at petya.myhome.westell.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM20060127
i386

The only difference of my custom kernel and the generic one is that I added
device atapicam
to configure my CD burner.

Next, here are my attempts of configuring the sound card. I read [1]
and I checked /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES to find some clues which driver
should be loaded. I also googled about "Sound Blaster Pro" + FreeBSD
and found [2] and I concluded that I have to use snd_sbc, snd_sb8 and
possibly snd_sb16. I added the following three lines to
/boot/loader.conf
snd_sbc_load="YES"
snd_sb8_load="YES"
snd_sb16_load="YES"

I then rebooted my machine and when it started I ran dmesg:
$ dmesg | grep sound
Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/sound.ko" at 0xc0ab82d8.
$ dmesg | grep snd
Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/snd_sb16.ko" at 0xc0ab8228.
Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/snd_sbc.ko" at 0xc0ab8384.
Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/snd_sb8.ko" at 0xc0ab8430.

kldstat shows
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   13 0xc0400000 632618   kernel
 2    1 0xc0a33000 4fc0     snd_sb16.ko
 3    4 0xc0a38000 1d408    sound.ko
 4    3 0xc0a56000 4934     snd_sbc.ko
 5    1 0xc0a5b000 49ec     snd_sb8.ko
 6   16 0xc0a60000 568dc    acpi.ko
 7    1 0xc1e7a000 2000     blank_saver.ko
 8    1 0xc1e90000 15000    linux.ko

I also started pciconv -lv and the relevant section about audio is:
none2 at pci0:27:0:        class=0x040300 card=0x008f1025 chip=0x26688086
rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82801FB/FR/FW/FRW Intel High DefiNition Audio Controller'
    class    = multimedia

This makes me think that no driver is attached to the sound card.

cat /dev/sndstat shows
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:

Also when I enter kde, it says that device /dev/dsp cannot be found
and when I try to play an mp3 file with xmms, it shows a dialog titled
"Cannot open video".

I also tried with no success to build a custom kernel with by adding
device sound
device "snd_sb8"
device "snd_sb16"

Could you please help in finding the right configuration? If you need
more information I will be happy to provide it.

Thank you very much in advance

Regards
Ivan

[1]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html