strange problem with ipfw and rc.conf

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Thu Jan 26 17:56:28 PST 2006

Your problem is you have rc.conf loading 2 different firewalls
at same time.
IPFW which is compiled into your kernel as firewall and
ipfilter which you have rc.conf starting. You don't need to
compile either one of the firewalls into the kernel to work.

You need to read the firewall section of the handbook.
It contains a very complete usage description of the 3 firewalls
that come with FreeBSD.

I would recommend you use ipfilter as your firewall.
IPFW is for the experienced firewall user who has FW
requirements needing functions not provided by one of the
other FW's delivered with the base FreeBSD install.

And since it looks like you have 3 private circuits on your
LAN you will need NAT function and nat in ipfilter is so much
easier to set up than ipfw when using the keep state function
in your rules file.

The handbook ipfilter sample rules sets work as is.
Just copy and past into your own rules file and your pretty
much good to go after following the comments.

And another thing, its not acceptable behavior to cross post
to 2 lists with same question.
This question does not belong in freebsd-security at freebsd.org.