Problem with fsck

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Jan 26 16:40:38 PST 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 19:39, manish jain wrote:
> I recently persuaded my organisation to shift our main
> server from Linux to FreeBSD 6.0. We are now facing a
> problem with fsck. After improper shutdown, we need
> fsck to run automatically and non-interactively in the
> foreground upon restart. Enabling background fsck lets
> the system come up but fails to properly start a few
> network services.

When you say you enabled it, do you simply mean you did nothing at all, or did
you add an extra fsck -B somewhere.

Background fsck is enabled by default, and it runs 60 seconds after all other
initialization. Partitions can only be deferred for background checking if
they support it, and are in a mountable state.  These partitions are simply
skipped in the pre-mount fsck check.

All it does is recover lost space. It shouldn't have any impact other than a
general slowdown.