VPN / Bridge

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Thu Jan 26 04:54:58 PST 2006

Bob Kersten <bob_freebsd_questions at fellownet.com> wrote:

> > ATM I don't use a VPN therefore I can't give you a known to work
> > step-by-step solution. However I couldn't reproduce your problem
> > on 6.0 with the following commands:
> >
> > root at TP51 ~ #ifconfig gif0 tunnel 1.2.3.4 5.6.7.8 up
> > root at TP51 ~ #ifconfig bridge0 create
> > root at TP51 ~ #ifconfig bridge0 addm ndis0 addm gif0 up
> > root at TP51 ~ #ifconfig bridge0
> > bridge0: flags=8043<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >         ether ac:de:48:f4:4e:9c
> >         priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15 maxage 20
> >         member: gif0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
> >         member: ndis0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
>
> Where did your gif0 interface come from? I've added it using
> 'ifconfig gif0 create', but when I try to add it to the bridge I'm
> getting the following response:
>
> [~] bob at spike> ifconfig bridge0 addm gif0
> ifconfig: BRDGADD gif0: Operation not permitted
>
> I've noticed that in /var/log/messages it said that the mtu didn't
> match, so I've solved that an put both mtu's to 1500. However, the
> message still pops up when trying to add gif0 to the bridge.

gif0 was created with 'ifconfig gif0 create', I just forgot to copy
and paste it.

I get the "Operation not permitted" error only when I haven't
enough privileges:

fk at TP51 ~ $ifconfig bridge0 addm gif0
ifconfig: BRDGADD gif0: Operation not permitted

Does your user bob have root privileges and did you try
it as root?

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/