Perl script help

Jack Stone antennex at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 16:34:19 PST 2006

>From: Greg Barniskis <nalists at scls.lib.wi.us>
>To: Jack Stone <antennex at hotmail.com>
>CC: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Perl script help
>Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:29:39 -0600
>
>Jack Stone wrote:
>>I'm using an old (2001) canned perl script to manage questions to my tech
>>site. It is of big help since it can answer common questions from
>>templates and a real time saver.
>
>First, this isn't really a FreeBSD question, so you may certainly have
>better luck getting it answered in a Perl-oriented forum (or best, the help
>forum or the original author of the script in question).
>
>[snip]
>>Is there any way to insert the same type of tests on those original copies
>>in the storage as "*.ftf" files and just delete them so they aren't there
>>when the question manager program is loaded??
>
>If I were you I would be looking at the Perl code just before those lines
>that you quoted in your original message. Inspect the content of
>$FORM{message} earlier in the process and use Perl pattern matching to see
>if it contains taboo content. Something like
>
>if ($FORM{message} =~ /taboophrase/) { msgisjunk; }

First, thanks for the tip as it works using "exit;" which might be enough,
but would rather do a redirect to a page just in case one of the good guys
trips over it in their questions. So, I'll try to figure out how to do that
without further burden to you or this fine, helpful and usually friendly
list.

With regard to your other remarks about learning perl and OT, there are many
questions (like shell scripts here today) that don't quite fit. Of course,
perl is part of the base OS, so it's not far off for the many script gurus I
know that are here.

I've been a member of this list for several years and have answered dozens
if not several 100 questions of all kinds that I do know about. Since I
probably don't ask more than 3 or 4 question a year, I should be entitled to
ask them vs my contributions. I enjoy helping when I can OT or not.

IMHO, this is one of the best lists to obtain help about scripts when one
just doen's have to time to learn a whole scripting language. Going to a
script list isn't very helpful either.

I'm a "Jack of all trades, but no master of perl."

Again, thanks for the help -- but, not the lecture though as it was the
obvious thing to do IF one really had time or the right skill/talent to
learn a language.

Regards,
Jack