Building a FreeBSD system.

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Wed Jan 25 14:19:11 PST 2006

Anthony Dematteo wrote:
> I am interested in building a new computer, with the intention of
> running FreeBSD AMD/64.
>
> I am, however haveing trouble finding a mother board with support
> listed in the hardware database.  (Mostly for onboard audio)  Is it
> reasonable to belive that these audio devices will follow a normal
> spec, and the FreeBSD will run them? Is there a good possiblity that
> if they are not listed in the hardware.txt that they will not work at
> all?  What about onboard ethernet?
> Thank you,
> Anthony DeMatteo

Most AC97 PCI audio devices built on-board with via or nvidia chipsets work -
most that I have encountered anyhow. Not an intel fan over here, so not so sure
about intel'd boards/chipsets... but I can easily reccomend almost any MSI, or
Tyan mainboard with AMD64 or Opteron chips.

On-Board ethernet varies greatly, and depends on the chipset... but again, most
PCI-based cards/chipsets are supported - there are however exceptions to every
rule, and some cards (notably the nvidia ethernet afaik - have issues).

Personally (irony to my choice of CPU's) - I stick with nothing but Intel on the
ethernet side, good old EtherExpress Pro 100/B PCI 10/100 cards on the desktop;
rock-solid performer without any configuration woes, (least not that I've
encountered).

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com