Sharing internet connection, how?

Lorin Lund wbs at infowest.com
Tue Jan 24 09:16:00 PST 2006

cblasius wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have two ethernet cards on my computer. The first is rl0 - with
> the adrress from my ISP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (DSL 1M), and the second is
> vr0 - with the address 192.168.1.1.
>
> I want to use my computer as gateway to internet for the other
> computers in my home. How I can sharing internet connection on my
> computer to the rest computers in my home? I hve 2 computers (my and
> my wife (rl0 192.168.1.2)).
>
> Could somone help me, I'm beginner?
>
> I have the following rc.conf file:
>
> defaultrouter="vvv.vvv.vvv.vvv"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> natd_enable="YES"
> hostname="myhost"
> ifconfig_rl0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> ifconfig_vr0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> linux_enable="YES"
> moused_enable="YES"
> moused_flags="-3"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> usbd_enable="YES"
>
> What I must to do else, because my wife could not connect to the
> internet?
> FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE
>
> I'm sorry for my English.
>
> Best regards,
> cblasius

Is your wife's PC running Windows or FreeBSD?

Can your wife's PC ping your PC?
    If not then that is the first problem to solve.
Can your wife's PC ping an outside address given as numbers?
  (Like ping -c 4 18.7.22.69)
  If she can ping by number address but not by host name then the
problem is her DNS
  configuration.
  If she can't ping by number address and you can then your PC is not
forwarding
  things correctly - I've done that before but I don't remember all the
details.

The more information you can give us the more likely we will be able to
help.