understanding virtual memory

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jan 24 07:53:01 PST 2006

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca> writes:

> On 23/01/06 Lowell Gilbert said:
>
> > "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca> writes:
> >
> > > [msoulier at kanga ~]$ sysctl -a | grep Memory
> > > Virtual Memory:         (Total: 724K, Active 545156K)
> > > Real Memory:            (Total: 232508K Active 124272K)
> > > Shared Virtual Memory:  (Total: 24684K Active: 11880K)
> > > Shared Real Memory:     (Total: 12124K Active: 6756K)
> > > Free Memory Pages:      14852K
> > >
> > > How can I have 724K of virtual memory with 545156K active? Am I reading this
> > > wrong?
> >
> > On a quick look, it seems like a wraparound bug...
>
> Does anyone know if it's a known problem? If not, I'd like to open a bug
> report.

I only did a three-minute code inspection to reach my conclusion.  For
me, I'd want to be a little more sure what's going on before logging a
bug.  Preferably have a fix, too.  I don't have time for that right
now, but feel free to do it yourself.  Try changing sysctl.c so that
the memory calculation is done in a wider data type...