FreeBSD 6.0 - install critiques - install issues

F. Even - fbsd-questions freebsdlists at elitists.org
Tue Jan 24 00:33:46 PST 2006

OK...I've been running FreeBSD since 4.0...and I've always noticed
"installation" issues here and there.  Mostly though, I've always been
good to go after a good dry run (which I always recommend to everyone I
recommend FreeBSD to) and usually on a 2nd run all the options are fine.

I've pretty much ran 4.x boxes for quite awhile...dabbled with 5.x, but
didn't run it on anything....but I do believe I installed the box a
couple times to get my "options" correct.

But now I've installed 6.0 for the first time on a machine that I plan
on making a production box, and I've still noticed some of the
installation "oddities."

One big "nuisance" is that you cannot safely cancel out of many/some of
the sysinstall options during install.  During install of fxp1 (the
first and only NIC I chose), I chose to let it grab a DHCP address, then
cancelled out of the NIC config.  Instead of dropping me back to choose
another NIC, or the same NIC, the install just proceeded on, as if I'd
completed my network config (I did revisit it at the end of the install,
but still...esp. for a newbie, that's an unnecessary stumbling block).

The one that really hit me though was the mail config.  There were more
mail config options than I'm used to from previous 4.x and 5.x installs,
I cancelled out of it without choosing.  Post-install, sendmail was
running.  I figured...fine...it installed a default.  No big deal.

So...I fired up sysinstall, navigated to: Configure > Networking > Mail
 > Postfix (using FTP server as the source...didn't feel like putting in
the CD).

Well...it installed Postfix and it's dependencies, message popped up
that it was the "default" MTA....but sendmail is still there, and
postfix is not running (I don't see an RC script either to start it and
/etc/mailer.conf is unchanged).  So...I went through, and picked "No
MTA" in sysinstall.  Well...sendmail is still running, and postfix is
still installed (can't say I expected removal....but the behavior for
defaulting to sendmail and then going back and picking postfix later
doesn't make sense).

I'd like to figure out how to correct this in the "base OS" structure
without going back and re-installing (really shouldn't have to) OR going
to ports (does the postfix port still have the "make replace"
target...that was great).  Any hints?

Any help would be appreciated (granted, I haven't gotten that far to
where I absolutely cannot re-install...but I really shouldn't have to.
If sendmail was in some kind of a pkg_db or something, I could simply
remove sendmail and hopefully picking postfix as the MTA from sysinstall
would install it instead....but it doesn't appear to be like that).

Thanks for any help in advance,
Frank

Currently, my rc.conf (with some output) looks like this:

root at vabsd# cat /etc/rc.conf

# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sat Jan 21 22:28:55 2006
# Created: Sat Jan 21 22:28:55 2006
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
#REMOVED: usbd_enable="YES"
defaultrouter="192.168.X.X"
hostname="hostname"
ifconfig_fxp1="inet 192.168.X.X  netmask 255.255.255.0"
linux_enable="YES"
local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"
moused_enable="NO"
moused_type="NO"
ntpdate_enable="YES"
ntpdate_flags="us.pool.ntp.org"
saver="green"
sshd_enable="YES"
usbd_enable="NO"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Tue Jan 24 01:22:02 2006
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_flags="-bd"
sendmail_enable="YES"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Tue Jan 24 01:27:09 2006
sendmail_enable="NONE"

root at vabsd# pkg_info
bash-3.0.16_1       The GNU Project's Bourne Again SHell
gettext-0.14.5      GNU gettext package
libiconv-1.9.2_1    A character set conversion library
libtool-1.5.18      Generic shared library support script (1.5)
linux_base-8-8.0_6  Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (only for
i386)
pcre-6.2            Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
postfix-2.2.5,1     A secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail

root at vabsd# cat /etc/mail/mailer.conf
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/mail/mailer.conf,v 1.3 2002/04/05 04:25:12 gshapiro
Exp $
#
# Execute the "real" sendmail program, named /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
#
sendmail        /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
send-mail       /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
mailq           /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
newaliases      /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
hoststat        /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
purgestat       /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail