Foreign language posts (was: Pooomooocyyyy ;()

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Sat Jan 21 09:55:02 PST 2006

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Maybe it's just me but the idea of a bunch of English speakers
> sitting around and debating whether or not to permit foreign
> languages on the mailing list is a bit like a bunch of men sitting
> around and debating whether or not to legalize abortion.
>
> It's an issue that so obviously does not affect the discussors
> that it's incredible any of them would believe it possibly affects
> them in any way whatsoever.
>
> Ted

Why is that? Because we have put down the effort of learning the
de facto standard language on the internet, we no longer may have
an opinion about the ones that haven't?
Or did you just assume that everyone who speaks english is from
an english-speaking country?

I'm swedish. I (naturally) prefer to speak swedish. But, I speak
2 other languages without problems and can make myself understood
in a few more. Still, I would never dream of posting to a
mailinglist in any other language then english, unless otherwise
requested.

There are plenty of mailinglists and supportforums available in
almost every language you can imagine. There is no need to
increase the noise on @questions with posts that perhaps 1 or 2
percent of the subscribers can understand.