Best time of day/week to cvsup?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sat Jan 21 07:59:04 PST 2006

On 2006-01-21 02:30, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, what time of day, and the day of the week, is typically
> the best time to sync up with 6-STABLE or 7-CURRENT, to minimize
> dealing with untested new commits.

CURRENT is, by definition, a fair bit unpredictable.  Unless, of course
you track freebsd commits and freebsd-current.  But even then, updating
is not always `safe' -- for some definition of `safe'.  For instance,
after the update of malloc() by Jason Evans to his new, improved
version, many programs started crashing in 7.0-CURRENT because of bugs
in those programs.

I usually try to keep up with the mail of freebsd-cvs-src and the posts
of freebsd-current and update my systems manually to 7.0-CURRENT when
I'm relatively sure that things are `stable enough' for my work.

Having said that about CURRENT, I'm sure that 6.0-STABLE is quite safe
most of the time, because changes don't just get rushed in to the
RELENG_6 branch.  Not having a steady stream of commits flowing in means
that most of the time CVSUP'ing a 6-STABLE system will pull in changes
to manpages, system documentation and the occasional security fix.  So,
it's much safer to pick any random time and update a RELENG_6 system.

> Same goes for the ports system. Are there any cvs usage stats or web
> server usage stats for the FreeBSD project?
>
> I'd like to setup an automated package building system for 6.0-RELEASE
> and 6-STABE.

Colin Percival does this already for `security/freebsd-update'.  He may
have many good ideas to share, so you should definitely try to contact
him :)