slowness on 6.0 with apache2.2 (from src)

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Sat Jan 21 04:56:15 PST 2006

I installed 6.0 and cvsup'd to the security fixes and rebuilt world.
All went well.

Then i installed apache2.2 from src (not ports) with a basic:

./configure --enable-so --enable-ssl

It installed and runs.

However, here is my issue:

My main web page has 1 image per se. However, it is comprised of 32
little images...

What I am seeing is that each image comes down 1 by 1 SLOWLY and
apache2.2 spawns tons of child processes!

Under OpenBSD/Solaris, I see a completely different thing...the image
comes up instantly and apache only spawned 1 extra child.

I used the SAME config files on all 3 OSs and the same
hardware/drives/etc. This by the way is all over my internal LAN...so
it never hits the internet.

With all the variables being equal - but the OS.

Since things work excellent on OpenBSD/Solaris, what is it that
freebsd is not doing (or doing differently)?

Any thoughts on this?

-JD