out of swap?

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Fri Jan 20 17:58:29 PST 2006

On 20/01/06 Kevin Kinsey said:

> I'd almost offer "definitely more likely", as the amount of swap
> shown is less than 1/2 GB.  Michael, how much RAM on this box?

[msoulier at kanga ~]$ sysctl -a | grep Memory
Virtual Memory:         (Total: 720K, Active 537852K)
Real Memory:            (Total: 236228K Active 123640K)
Shared Virtual Memory:  (Total: 24812K Active: 11880K)
Shared Real Memory:     (Total: 12136K Active: 6672K)
Free Memory Pages:      11692K

Mem: 124M Active, 25M Inact, 75M Wired, 10M Cache, 34M Buf, 768K Free
Swap: 471M Total, 67M Used, 403M Free, 14% Inuse

It's not a lot, but it's always been fine for me when running Linux as a
headless server.

> I once set up a box with 256M RAM and 512M swap, which was
> all good && fine until I got a few extra $$ and decided to up the
> RAM to 768M.  After that, it died most every evening with Xorg
> running out of swapspace.
>
> If you've more RAM than swap, it's very possible that any process,
> but especially larger ones, could cause problems like this.
> Fortunately, it's not too difficult to add some swap --- provided
> you've some unformatted disk space available.

I don't think that's the case. I did notice poorer performance while sshing
into the box in the last few days. If the jdk does have a leak, that would
explain it.

I think I'll keep an eye on the size of the java process.

[msoulier at kanga ~]$ top -b -d1 | grep java
 1988 www       20    0   219M 34264K kserel   1:31  0.00%  0.00% java

Mike

--Albert Einstein