cannot ping anything

Alvaro J. Gurdián AJGurdian at lanoticia.com
Fri Jan 20 12:34:24 PST 2006

I tried both of those and got the same result, ping: sendto: No route
to host.

I examined my dmesg output a little closer and noticed:
IP Filter: v3.4.35 initialized.  Default = block all, Logging = enabled

This means that my assumption of disabling IPF by removing all of the
comments tertainin to it and IPNat from /etc/rc.conf were wrong because
it it compiled statically.  This means that there is no way to turn it
off, right?

So I reloaded my old /etc.rc.conf with the somments to turn on IPF and
IPNat, and point to their rules files.

The previous computer this HD was installed on had two NICs sis0 and
sis1.

sis0 was connected to the WAN, so I just changed sis0 in all the
comments to dc0.  I made sure there was a statement that allowed ICMP
statements thru.

I restarted, and things stayed the same, so I went back to
/etc/ipf.rules and changed all instances of sis1 to dc0, also maing
sure the ICMP statement was there.

I restarted again and, once again ,no progress.  Since the previous
machine had two interfaces this is most likely the issue since nat is
messing things up.

I have to get moving forward with this project so I am simply
downloading the new 6.0 release.

This should solve the problem.

Thanks anyway