nsswitch.conf with ldap

Dominique Goncalves dominique.goncalves at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:45:33 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to use ldap database in /etc/nsswitch.conf but FreeBSD
hangs on boot if it needs to bind a system user present in files, my
nsswitch.conf:
group: files ldap
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: files ldap
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files

Adding ldap after FreeBSD has started, everything works ok.

I've done some test with truss on single user mode with and without
ldap in nsswitch.conf and binding a system user present in files and
it only works if there is no ldap in nsswitch.conf

truss with ldap in nsswitch.conf: http://djdomics.free.fr/FreeBSD/nss-w-ldap.txt
truss without ldap in nsswitch.conf:
http://djdomics.free.fr/FreeBSD/nss-wo-ldap.txt

I use:
FreeBSD djdomics.sceen.net 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #5: Thu Jan
12 00:18:18 CET 2006
root at djdomics.sceen.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DJDOMICS  i386

According to nsswitch.conf(5)
The default criteria is to return on ``success'', and continue on any-
thing else (i.e, [success=return notfound=continue unavail=continue
tryagain=continue]).

Why FreeBSD tries to use ldap database if my user system is on files ?
Thanks for the help.

Regards.
--
There's this old saying: "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach
a man to fish, feed him for life."