I have been hacked (WAS: Have I been hacked or is nmap wrong?)

Will Maier willmaier at ml1.net
Wed Jan 18 12:58:30 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 05:38:50PM +0200, Kilian Hagemann wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 January 2006 16:25, Will Maier pondered:
> > On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 03:56:32PM +0200, Kilian Hagemann wrote:
> > > I have never even heard of "frox" before, but after some
> > > googling it turns out that it's a GPL'ed transparent ftp
> > > proxy...
> >
> > Where's it pointing?
>
> No idea, I only went as far as trying to login anonymously using a
> console based ftp client. How could I find out?

Connect to it and watch the packets in tcpdump(8) or similar. this
may not give you the full answer, but it'll help. What banners do
the FTP servers have? Is there a domain listed? Who owns that
domain?

> > What do you see when you connect to the SMTP ports? Are they
> > really mail servers, or just rogue services running on 25?
>
> They are really mail servers, at least smtp for outgoing mails
> (don't know about incoming though). I used kmail to configure them
> as standard outgoing smtp mail servers and successfully sent
> myself two emails, one via each server. Surely a default, out of
> the box, unconfigured and sendmail_enable="None" sendmail process
> wouldn't allow for something like that, never mind the fact that
> the firewall is supposed to block ANY access from the outside
> (output of ipfw show is attached)

So these are running, functioning sendmail servers that /you/ didn't
configure (on purpose)? What do you see when you 'talk' to them via
nc(1)? If you're firewall was dropping incoming packets destined to
those ports, you wouldn't have been able to send a mail through
them (or connect on 25 with nc(1))...

> Well, I didn't worry about samba because it's firewalled to the
> outside(unless some Windows virus on one of the LAN machines
> exploited a samba hole, is that likely?).

I don't know Samba that well, but it's possible it could be
exploited (check the web for recent advisories pertaining to it).
How much do you trust the users on the 'green' side? Could one of
their boxes have been compromised and then used as a platform to
attack your border servers? This sort of (nightmare) scenario is why
people have been whining about 'defense in depth' for the last few
years; it turns out that your crunchy, impermeable outside actually
can be as squishy as your inside.

> There is only one single normal user account with an uncommon name
> and an impossible password(16 characters randomly generated from
> ASCII charset).  ChallengeResponseAuthentication is commented out
> in sshd which I guess means it uses the standard PAM
> authentication. It also allows password/interactive authentication
> in addition to public key, I always use the former. I do admit
> that I have set "PermitRootLogin yes" but my root password is 9
> characters with numbers and non-alphanumeric characters, so hard
> to brute-force.

Having a kickass, long username with an 'impossible' 16 char
password and an open root account with a password 9 chars long is
like putting a heavy steel door on a cardboard box. Allowing
PermitRootLogin is a mistake in almost every scenario; disable it in
the next generation of your servers (if possible). It's a 'weakest
link' sort of situation, I guess.

> In any case, it's important to note that the only access from the
> outside via ssh/rsync is firewalled in such a way that it only
> allows access from a single IP address which my institution
> assigns me statically via DHCP (see attachment).

That's good.

> They would have had to a) find out what this one and only trusted
> IP address is b) spoof it successfully c) attack ssh brute force?

Assuming the firewall works, they would certainly have to complete
steps a, b and c; unless, that is, they compromised /your/ box, too.
Unlikely, though, I suspect.

> Well, I thought my setup was secure enough for a very basic
> router/gateway/firewall for a couple of Windows machines using a
> sucky internet connection which is not worth stealing.

Unfortunately, the asset you should be protecting might not be your
bandwidth or data or whatever it is you've been assuming. When you
set up a firewall, you're protecting something -- in your case, what
is it? Have you defined that for yourself? It's hard to do a good
job defending something you haven't or can't define. While it
probably sounds pedantic or silly, take a moment to ask yourself
what it is you want to protect. If there are several things, rank
them by priority. _Then_ go about designing a defense. Securing your
stuff may not be a terribly high priority at all; if so, accept the
fact that something bad will happen once in a while. Your security
plan might just be "deal with it when the shit hits the fan." No
problem. That can make sense. Having clarified that for yourself,
though, makes things easier.

> So I didn't go through the effort of using a file integrity
> monitor, remote logging, traffic dumps or network monitors (jeez,
> sysadmins lives are really difficult these days :-( )

Like I said above, those sorts of defenses might be overkill for
you. That's fine -- there are benefits, though, to deploying them,
and their cost might not seem so bad in context of your (evident)
frustration at the break-in. I still sympathize, by the way: it's a
tricky, awful world sometimes.

> Thanks a ton for the help and advice, I'll see what I can do.

Of course -- best of luck with damage control.

> # output of ipfw show. I edited it to remove all count rules(merely used for traffic accounting),
> # some unreach rules to prevent some LAN clients from accessing the internet altogether
> # and substituted some ip blocks for privacy purposes. LAN_NET is the LAN subnet,
> # MY_OUTSIDE_IP is the unique and only ip address that is allowed to login from the outside via ssh/rsync

I don't use IPFW, so I can't really help here. You might want to
repost your config to a more firewall-oriented list if you don't get
enough response here; they'll certainly be able to help you.

--

| jabber:..wcmaier at jabber.ccc.de | email:..........wcmaier at ml1.net |