FreeBSD and the Mexican jumping drive assignments

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Jan 17 21:35:02 PST 2006

In the last episode (Jan 17), Garrett Cooper said:
> Hello,
> 	I was wondering if there was any way where I could make my SCSI
> drive /dev assignments static because they always seem to change
> after rebooting the system, which is annoying for filesharing
> purposes, especially when I expect data to be on drive da0, but it
> ends up being on da2.
>
> da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
> da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> da2 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0

Two options.  If you don't care about what name a disk is as long as
you can locate its filesystems, you can label your filesystems with
tunefs and then load the glabel module.  Entries will appear under
/dev/ufs and /dev/msdosfs for filesystems that have names, and you can
put those entries in your fstab.

If your boot disk is one of the ones that shuffles around, of if you
want the disk names to stay constant for other reasons, you can wire
down devices in /boot/device.hints to appear at specific places
(documented in the scbus manpage):

hint.scbus.0.at="ahc0"
hint.da.0.at="scbus0"
hint.da.0.target="1"