portupgrade eats my swap space

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Tue Jan 17 20:16:39 PST 2006

At 04:25 AM 1/18/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>OK, this is an old PIII 1 GHZ , 500 MB RAM  running
>6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Sun Jan 15 05:56:00 CET 2006
>
>When I start a
>
>   # portupgrade -a
>
>up to 671 MB swap are used and I see this message:
>
>   make: Max recursion level (500) exceeded.: Resource temporarily
>   unavailable
>
>and of course everything becomes really slow. Has anybody else seen this?

Yes. I'm running FreeBSD 6.0 on a PII 300MHz with 64MB RAM and a 40GB hard
drive. It works great until I run portupgrade on mysql-server. Then it runs
out of swap space and I get console error messages and have to reboot. I
haven't dug into it yet, but several months ago I redirected the swap file
to a different location to increase the size. I'll have to do some research
to find out exactly what I did and how much space I gave it and how to
increase it. I haven't had time yet to do it. Don't know why building
mysql-* (and possibly some others) takes so much swap space. I first
encountered it running portmanager -u and didn't realize for a couple of
days (and four or five freeze-ups) what was happening.

--
Roger