FreeBSD vs Linux

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Jan 17 16:07:58 PST 2006

Tamouh H. wrote:
>> Just get a different sound card.  There are lotsof
>> inexpensive sounds cards that are probably supported by
>> FreeBSD for just a few (10-30) $
>>
>> Btw, this problem happens with Windows, Mac OS X, etc as
>> well.  I have been trying to put an extra USB/Firewire card
>> in my G5, and they work, but with weird side effects like
>> hanging IO.  My dad had some sound card issues on Windows
>> with "supported" cards.
>>
>> Chad
>>

> Oh come on, I've been working with all Linux, FreeBSD and Windows.
>
> Getting a different card is not the solution. It is actually an absurd
> suggestion which goes to prove further that Unix has not matured yet to
> compete with Microsoft.
>
> If you are looking for compatibility, Windows is the answer.
>
> You are looking for security and stable releases, FreeBSD is the answer
>
> If you are seeking *free* OS with largest compatibility, Linux is the answer
>
> If you are seeking performance, FreeBSD is the answer.
>
> Windows almost runs everything, FreeBSD is stable, good performance but it
> is behind Linux when it comes to releasing drivers (example, zero-channel
> RAID cards weren't supported until very recently and still not quite
> official). The Linux OS has a much larger community than FreeBSD and hence
> has more development in it.
>
> In my opinion, I think the Unix world had missed the boat on trying to take
> over MSFT. The new Windows coming out are as stable as the Unix servers.
> With the Vista Windows, and a dramatic reduction of GUI, you can expect much
> better OS.

    Where did you read that about Vista? I've seen the beta versions of
Vista and they all require cadillac machines with spiffy OpenGL cards,
etc, in order to function without a lot of lag and hiccups. And when you
turn all the bells and whistles off, Vista is nothing more than a
graphics enhanced versions of XP with additional security features, such
as required administrator logins, etc like Unix has been doing for years
and Mac has been doing for a while. Windows Vista will no doubt require
lots of RAM in comparison to XP because the developers/business team
will add more features than users can shake a stick at. Yet, sadly
enough I do not deny the fact that Windows is required given the
software development model and noting where the money lies in software
and hardware support. Heck, if Windows didn't exist I doubt I would have
a job =D.
-Garrett