Problem with Cisco (Atheros) Wireless PCI card on IBM Thinkcentre MT-M-8183-T1S

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Jan 17 11:48:39 PST 2006

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:02:47 -0600
eric at iteso.mx wrote:

> Greetings from Merida, Yucatan, Mexico (The Maya Land)
>
> Am having problems installing FreeBSD in my University under IBM
> Thinkcentre MT-M-8183-T1S boxes.
>
> I can´t detect the Wireless Cisco (Atheros) PCI lan card. Linux and
> Windows have no problems recognizing the card but i have problems
> with FreeBSD 6.0
>
> Here are my dmesg (with and with out ACPI).
>
> I don´t know if this is a known issue, but any pointers will be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> I think that the pci3 line shows something but not sure about that.
>
> Lic. Eric De La Cruz Lugo.
> Merida, Yucatan, Mexico.
> The Maya Land.

Hello Eric,

It appears that you are still running the FreeBSD 6.0 RELEASE kernel.
The atheros drivers are not compiled into the kernel by default.  Folks
on this list have expressed mixed results in loading the kernel modules,
so you should probably add the following lines to your kernel
configuration file and recompile your kernel:

device ath
device ath_hal
device ath_rate_onoe
device wlan   #This line should be already be in the configuration file.

You can find more information in the online handbook.

Wireless Networking:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

Ath driver:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ath&sektion=4