GNOME without media?

Mike Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Tue Jan 17 09:00:32 PST 2006

I notice that when I install GNOME, it pulls in all kinds of
multimedia-related things, like gstreamer and esound.  I don't even have
a sound card in this system, so clearly these don't help me at all.
However, for some reason a lot of other, seemingly unrelated packages
depend on these media component.

For example, trying to remove esound fails because esound is a
dependancy of libgnome and libbobonoui and gdm.  Do these REALLY need
esound to function?  Similarly, gstreamer is a dependancy for evolution
and gnomecontrolcenter.

Is there any easy way to get GNOME installed without these useless
components?

--Mike