Deejs' Firewall

Uncle Deejy-Pooh deejy-pooh at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 17 04:42:11 PST 2006

P.S.
	I ought to have mentioned I'm DHCP. And,as a further aside to this - you see,
I REALLY DO KNOW JACK-ALL - why is it considered bad form to turn off ones
broadband connection ? I do it every day, no problems in re-connecting... I
have, after my last posting I Mamma'd around a bit, noticed mention of
'leases' and the need for ones provider to re-lease ones connection.
Investigation took me to /var/db/dhclient.leases.sis0. In this there is info,
which I hesitate to reprint here :>}, repeated twice, culminating in these
lines:

< Loads of info here...............>
  renew 3 2006/1/18 01:27:21;
  rebind 3 2006/1/18 13:26:40;
  expire 3 2006/1/18 17:26:29;

< Same info repeated here......>
  renew 3 2006/1/18 01:46:16;
  rebind 3 2006/1/18 13:31:25;
  expire 3 2006/1/18 17:26:28;

EOF

I take it from this that my connection will be been renewed at the given
time/date, then rebind (???), and finally die, waiting for the next renewal I
guess. Well, try as it might, it WON'T renew at 1.30am because it's ALWAYS
turned off ! It is, however, USUALLY on at the other given times.

So, stop-your-laughing and point my snout to the trough...

	Once again, waaay off-topic,
	Deej