80 pin SCSI hard drives.

Alfredo Finelli alfredofnl at tiscali.it
Mon Jan 16 18:37:41 PST 2006

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 03:21, je killen wrote:
> I've obtained two SCSI hard drives made by Maxtor that have 80 pin
> connectors and no power connector port.
> This isn't necessarily relevant to FreeBSD accept that i'm planning on
> using them in a FreeBSD installation.
> I'm only aware of 50 pin SCSI and 68 pin SCSI. I've tried to contact
> Maxtor to get advice on a PCI adapter
> and cables to use with these units but haven't gotten a reply.
> Can any one give me some info on how to set these drives up hardware
> wise?

Hi,

I have 80 pin SCSI discs mounted in hot-swappable trays on a SCSI
backplane which takes care also of powering them up and of SCSI
termination.  This is one way of using them.

I also have the same drives in a different system connected to normal SCSI
LVD cable using small adaptors which have an 80 pin receptacle on one
side and a 68 pin SCSI connector plus 4 pin molex power connector on the
other, as well as jumpers to define SCSI id.  In this second case you
have to provide the required termination of the SCSI bus (e.g. using the
right terminated SCSI cable).

alfredo