message appears at prompt

je killen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sun Jan 15 10:50:58 PST 2006

The following messages are appearing at my terminal on a frequent basis:

(Jan 15 09:23:05 e-mach login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0
Jan 15 09:25:43 e-mach login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0 ....preceeding
from /var/log/messages)
(these are the messages of concern:)
Jan 15 09:32:54 e-mach inetd[503]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use
Jan 15 09:42:54 e-mach inetd[503]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use
Jan 15 09:52:54 e-mach inetd[503]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use
The question is:
What is going on here?
It appears to be a conflict as one process is trying to bind to an
address that is being used by another process
However, I don't know if that is what 'bind' is in this context. If it
doesn't mean DNS BIND then that eliminates
that possibility.
Please excuse my newbe question but I hope it doesn't mean that
someone's script has snuck onto my
machine from the network and beyond. These messages are appearing when
the proxy/router machine
is not even turned on.
I would chase this down myself and not use the list but I don't know
enough of where to look.
The only clue I have is that sshd starts on boot and is also enabled in
inetd.conf. Could this
be the conflict?
Thanks so much
JK