NIC bonding/teaming

Fri Jan 13 14:03:33 PST 2006

At 16:47 2006-01-13, Ceri Davies wrote:

>On 13 Jan 2006, at 20:22, jim feldman wrote:
>
>>Does 6.x have a nic bonding/teaming/failover feature like the linux
>>bond (rnd robin, failover, ld bal, trunking)?  I'm thinking
>>multiple nics, one server, same lan/vlan.  I've read up on CARP and
>>one2many, but they don't seem to do what bond does.
>
>I think you want ng_one2many(4).
>
>Ceri

Hi,

I did a lot of tests with carp (was not appropriate at all), and ng_one2many

I was able to make two nics appears at one with ng_one2many, but
after severals days of tests and research, dropped it because it
caused bad side effects and when I was pulling one nic out, it was
stopping to transmit/receive for some moment. Also on the switch,
both nics were registering the same mac address so my cisco was
sending me warning about it every minute.

If you find a way to make it work that works perfectly, let me know,
I think a lot of people will benefit from it cause there is a bunch
of people asking for nic teaming and no real solution...

personnally, I ended up doing the redundancy at layer 3 instead of layer 2.

I used quagga (or zebra) and put one nic in a separate subnet. I then
used ospf to share routes. basically, my website is on an ip I binded
to my loopback adapter and there is two gateways (both nics) to the
rest of the network. It's not a solution I'm proud of because I wish
I would have succeed to team the nic like I could have done on
windows or linux, but I didn't find a working solution...

Good luck