httpd could not be started

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Fri Jan 13 11:15:21 PST 2006

Frank Staals wrote:
> Greg Barniskis wrote:
>> apache2_enable="YES"
>>
>> in your rc.conf?
>>
>> The need for this as well as the proper syntax should be noted in the
>> file /usr/ports/www/apache2/pkg-msg. For any other port you install
>> there's probably gold nuggets of info in its pkg-msg file. This stuff
>> displays during the make install, but then so does several K of other
>> info so it's not hard to miss these things.
>>
> In fact, it doesn't realy matter if you add apache_enable="YES" to
> rc.conf ( since het installed apache13 adding apache2_enable="YES" would
> be quite useless ... )

Duh. Sorry, the later line about him trying apache22 got stuck in my
mind.

> when you start it manually from commandline,
> adding it to rc.conf is only usefull when you want to start apache from
> boot, which can be quite usefull, but it can't be the reason why apache
> wouldn't start.

Oh. I was sure that I'd read in a previous thread that the lack of
an enable flag would stop it from being started at all, but that
must have been for a different port or in a different context.
Anyway, thanks for the correction, always glad to have my
misconceptions destroyed.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348