httpd could not be started

Steven Narmontas snarmont at wnec.edu
Fri Jan 13 10:49:54 PST 2006

On Fri Jan 13 10:05:52 PST 2006, Kiffin Gish
<kiffin.gish at planet.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 09:55 -0800, Steven Narmontas wrote:
>>
>> Everything to this point went smoothly!  I edited
>> /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf ONLY to set the ServerName to
>> the IP address of the machine. However, when I try to start
>> apache I get:
>>
>> #/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start
>> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>>

> Maybe httpd-error.log contains some suspicious-looking error
> messages?

Of course it does! duh!

For the record, the error messages in httpd-error.log read:

 [alert] mod_unique_id:unable to gethostbyname("xxxxx")

where xxxx was the made-up host name I used during the install.

I edited /etc/rc.conf to change hostname to a valid name, and
apache now starts fine.

Thank you!