dhclient fixed leases

Maxim Vetrov muxas at mail.ru
Fri Jan 13 03:41:22 PST 2006

Hi to all,

I can't configure dhclient to use fixed lease on a network with no dhcp
server. I use my notebook to connect to several different networks. Some
of them have dhcp servers, some do not. Just tired of manual config on
the latter. I've done man dhclient.conf and found that I can cope with
that. so there is my dhclient.conf:

timeout 15;
retry 180;
reboot 5;

lease {
        interface "sis0";
        fixed-address 10.0.1.4;
        option routers 10.0.1.5;
        option host-name "mobile";
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.248;
        expire 5 2010/1/1 00:00:00;
        renew 5 2010/1/1 0:0:0;
        rebind 5 2010/1/1 0:0:0;
}

interface "sis0" {
        send dhcp-lease-time 600;
        send host-name "mobile";
        request
broadcast-address,routers,subnet-mask,domain-name,domain-name-servers,time-servers,netbios-name-servers;
}

When it boots these messages are displayed:
    > Trying recorded lease 10.0.1.4
    > bound: renewal in 125116757 seconds.
and nothing happen.

The peer's address on the othe side of cross-wired cable is 10.0.1.5
netmask 255.255.255.248. When I
 > ifconfig sis0 inet 10.0.1.4 netmask 255.255.255.248 up
and ping connection is alive.

What do I do wrong?

Muxas