XFree86 on FreeBSD 5.4

offbyone offbyone at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 13 03:32:29 PST 2006

My problem:
Running FreeBSD_5.4-RELEASE with XFree86-4.5.0, there is a mis-match:
the underlying o.s. and newly installed and upgraded ports expect X.org
After portupgrade of an X-supported port, this mis-match shows up as
"stale dependency(ies)" It's a bore repeatedly to point new and upgraded
  ports to XFree86-libraries-4.5.0, etc. (and there is no XFree86
component that corresponds directly to X.org-TrueType, or is there?)
My questions:
0.) How to change the underlying o.s. default expectation to XFree86 AND
  is this a good idea for the present and future of 5.x?
1.) Is a better solution to bite the bullet, deinstall all XFree86
components and install X.org, since FreeBDS is 5.x?
(N.B. I do not want to start a flame over XFree86 vs. X.org. That's a
too-old and pointless debate, and I have no inherent reason to prefer
one over the other.)
Thanks, very much. for more info, suggestions.
Jake