missing /dev/dsp

SPYRIDON PAPADOPOULOS SP373 at student.apu.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 13:54:08 PST 2006

kalin mintchev wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: "kalin mintchev" <kalin at el.net>
To: SP373 at student.apu.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:49:06 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Re: missing /dev/dsp

> Hi again,
>
> Please don't try to open your laptop, i have a T30 here out of warranty.
> Just call them back, they will not charge you probably.

>thanks...  it is under warranty. but i really need >it here to work. some
>of it needs sound...
>i wouldn't really go into the laptop myself - i've >done that in the past
>and althuoght it was partially successful i don't >want to go through it
>again. if it was a desktop maybe but not with this >laptop...

>the problem is that if i deal with them over the >phone the second i
>mention that i'm not using windows they turn red and >say 'we are not
>supporting your machine then. you have to reimage >(?!?) it'. uhh..
>reimage?!?... ok...

For one more time:
Are you sure dmesg does not show your sound card, even with a message "(driver not attached)" next to it??
or pciconf -lv showing something similar to: "none1 at pci1:0:0:......."
...........           and then something like:
class    = multimedia
subclass = audio

if yes you have to send the notebook back to them.
Your laptop is under warranty and they accepted it once already. They will do it again, since after their repair your sound card doesn't work.st