missing /dev/dsp

SPYRIDON PAPADOPOULOS SP373 at student.apu.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 11:16:27 PST 2006

Hi again,

-----Original Message-----
From: "kalin mintchev" <kalin at el.net>
To: SP373 at student.apu.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:51:03 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: missing /dev/dsp

> Hi,
>
> What pciconf -lv says? Can you find your card there?
> not there. everything else seems to be fine but the >sound card is not there.

Well if it is not there then you must call them back and report this, since also you cannot see the card in dmesg...

> BIOS updates are known to make things better, but there are few chances to
> cause such problems, in which case you can go back to a previous version.
> Before you think of that however, find and read what the new version they
> installed, is fixing. Be sure before start messing with the bios.

> right... but how to be sure that are the bios and >they didn't screwed the
>card itself when they where replacing the board >where the ram slots are?!

..Of course there are chances that things can go wrong, as you are mentioning above.It looks h/w problem or compatibility issue maybe, so call them back and report your problem.
However you took the machine back in 48 hours probably because:
they unscrew one screw and changed your memory (not replacing the board..) and memory slots are not close to the sound card (are exatly under your left hand.(one screw) as i can see, then they updated the BIOS, then run some tests which passed, finally dispatched your laptop.
Please don't try to open your laptop, i have a T30 here out of warranty. Just call them back, they will not charge you probably.