Strange Failure Mode in FreeBSD 4.11

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Jan 12 10:08:12 PST 2006

	I found the problem though I haven't found the cause.  It
turns out that  the tcp/ip stack was working all along but ipfw is
having trouble.  When I list all the rules, I get all the rules I put
in, but none of the rules that rc.firewall is supposed to install
which are needed for open operation.

	That does completely disable even local icmp plus just about
everything else.  My thanks to Greg Barniskis who mentioned ipfw which
turned out to be the culprit.  Now, I will try to figure out why
rc.firewall which is certainly right where it should be is being
ignored.

	Thanks to all.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK