replacement for Acrobat Professional?

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Wed Jan 11 15:30:26 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:43:55AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> *sigh* Yet Another Undocumented Program.  "README" is 92 lines long,
> half of which deals with installation issues.  I'll look later.

It has a minimal GUI with some usable stuff for what I wanted.
> > But OpenOffice's PDF export is far easier for
> > preparing PDFs in general.
>
> And ghostscript is even easier.

If, say, you're the sort of guy who writes entire books in
troff/mdoc/etc.  :-)

From what I know of how you work, I imagine that flpsed would not be
very helpful.

> I'd need convincing that any PDF editor is the correct way to prepare
> documents; there are much more precise tools available for that.

Agreed, completely and absolutely.

> thought your original requirement was to mark up existing PDFs, and it
> still sounds like a good idea for that.

That is the requirement: they send me the final PDFs with the page
layouts all done, and their comments in the margins.  I go through and
make my comments direct in the document, and then they have someone go
through and rearrange according to my comments on their comments,
strip out everyone's comments, and send it to the printer.

Scary?  Yes.  Terrifying, actually.  But more and more web presses
speak PDF.  It could be worse; they *could* speak only MS .doc...

And hey, I imagine that *you* of all people would understand dealing
with publishers and printers.  :-)

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org

"The cloak of anonymity protects me from the nuisance of caring." -Non Sequitur