Slow 2d performance in X / opera / nvidia drivers

Martin Tournoy carpetsmoker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 04:43:54 PST 2006

On 10/01/06, Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org> wrote:
> gimpy# uname -a
> FreeBSD gimpy.tcbug.org 5.4-RELEASE-p8 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p8 #9: Fri
> Jan  6 20:26:44 CST 2006
> jpaetzel at gimpy.tcbug.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GIMPY  i386
>
> dmesg attached
>
> Xorg config attached
>
> Kernel config attached
>
> I've been having terrible 2d performance with opera (linux-opera and
> native 8.51 and 9.0) using the nvidia drivers.  When I windowshade it
> and then restore it there is a sizeable delay while it redraws the
> window.  If I rapidly shade and restore the window my idle CPU time
> goes to 0% and mp3 playback will occassionally skip.
>
> The problem first started when Opera 8 was released, I hoped that
> further releases would address it but so far that has not been the
> case.  Any suggestions for a fix welcome.
>
> (Yes, I have been seeking support on opera.com but this feels like a
> FreeBSD mis-configuration of some sort on my end. :)
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Josh Paetzel

You might try turning the twinview of, it takes up heaps of resources
on my machine, then again, your machine has 300% more RAM and
clockspeed, so it should be able to handle it fine....

Try using freebsd AGP, the nvidia should work better but you might
want to try it anyway...

Which window manager do you use, I noted that KDE can be really,
really slow even on newer machines (Krap Desktop Enviorment)

Is this problem ONLY with opera? or with other applications to? if you
have another QT application you might want try how that runs.
Also check you QT version, maybe it's ancient?

Did you try using both the static/shared QT versions? If not, it might
make a diffrence.

Don't post your dmesg again please, it makes me drool which makes my
keyboard dirty..
95 gig SCSI HDD *drool*