how should I (best practice) set up permissions for rsync ?

user user at dhp.com
Tue Jan 10 19:47:03 PST 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to rsync /usr/home from one machine to another, for purposes of
> > backup.
> >

> i do:
>
> rsync -e "rsh" -avzrlHpogDtS --delete --delete-excluded --force
> \ --exclude-from=../$1-exclude root@$1:/ .
>
> where $1 is server name

Yeah ... I know how to do that ... I wasn't asking how to rsync it, I was
asking how I could:

a) keep remote root logins _disabled_

and

b) keep default freebsd permissions on the /usr/home directory

and still do the rsync ... in your example, you are remotely logging in as
root, which I want to avoid.

Any suggestions ?