FTP stopped working - resend

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 16:46:44 PST 2006

(Resent as I didn't get a copy)

Giorgos and Derek,

Thank you for your replies. I don't know what happened, but all of
a sudden ftp started working again. It could have been the Win XP
machine I was using to access ftp on my server, I don't know. It
was working fine, using WS_FTP Pro, to my other servers over the
internet, but it wouldn't work here on its own LAN. I looked at
xferlog, and saw that connection lines were entered, but the FTP
LOGIN line wasn't there. Now that it is working, both lines show up
in xferlog, as before.

Giorgos, thanks for the example commands; All agree with your
example returns except 'netstat -na | fgrep LISTEN | grep [:.]21',
which returns 'grep: No match'. Am I missing something here? Thanks
for the troubleshooting steps, I will review those commands and see
what they do for me.

Giorgios, you say "Stability is nice, isn't it? :)". Yes. But the
problem is that it works so well for so long that I forget all I ever
knew, and now it is obvious that I should update the system. I guess
it's time to dust off the FreeBSD hat.

Darek, It stopped working before I rebooted, and I have done literally
nothing to this machine, except use Apache and ftp, for nearly a year.
What is frustrating is that the problem went away!

What now concerns me is that I did not receive a copy of my own post
on this problem from the mailing list server, and I didn't get Giorgos'
cc sent to freebsd-questions at freebsd.org. I used to get my posts back,
but that was before I changed to this gmail account. If I don't receive
this post, I'll go after that as a different problem. My ftp problem is
"gone", but now a mailing list problem?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, California, USA