Setting up a FreeBSD gateway (more detail) and IPFW

Dan O'Connor dan at ferrarishields.com
Tue Jan 10 14:01:54 PST 2006

> Thanks to those who replied to my previous call for help. Now I think
> it's time I actually provide some relevant detail.

<snip>

> Ideally, I'd like to be able to leave my workstation's network
> settings alone, and set up DHCP; however, a look over the ports
> suggests that's far more trouble than it's worth for a single client
> that doesn't really need such flexibility.
>
> I don't have any servers running on my workstation, so I've no need to
> allow traffic from the 'net to get through the firewall to the
> LAN(servers on the gateway itself are another matter). However, the
> firewall is still my biggest challenge.

A DHCP server *looks* challenging to set up...but it's really a snap!
See my example at http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/sheet.cgi?dhcp

Also, check out my firewall setup:
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/sheet.cgi?ipfw

I don't use named, I just allow outbound DNS lookups through the
firewall. Also, my DHCP server points clients at my ISP's DNS servers...

Hope this helps,

~Dan

--
FreeBSD Cheat Sheets