Extremely slow authentication via SSH on FreeBSD 6.0

steve steve at digitalbluesky.net
Mon Jan 9 04:48:21 PST 2006

>    2. Re: Extremely slow authentication via SSH on FreeBSD 6.0
>       (Ashley Moran)
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:36:14 +0000
> From: Ashley Moran <work at ashleymoran.me.uk>
> Subject: Re: Extremely slow authentication via SSH on FreeBSD 6.0
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> On Monday 09 January 2006 08:18, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>         I should be more specific. Setting UseDNS to no did the trick.
>> Maybe   sshd was confused by my hostname setup in /etc/hosts, but I'm not
>> going to speculate there. All that I know is that it works like it used to
>> =).
>> -Garrett
>

> I've had this problem before.  You can keep DNS turned on if /etc/resolv.conf
> contains reachable nameservers.  The DNS lookup timeout in sshd is very long
>
> Ashley

I posted a similiar problem on Sunday but didn't get any responses.  I
turned off DNS in the sshd_config file and the sshd time out problem went
away for me as well.   Actually I had to turn off dns lookup up for apache
and proftpd as well because those services were running extremely slow or
not responding.

If you've not made any modifications to your system, why would this happen?