Sparc vs i386 architecture

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net
Sun Jan 8 07:01:03 PST 2006

> Hi group, I was just wondering if there's an advantage to running FreeBSD on
> a SPARC than compared with a regular PC. Obviously the architecture is
> different (CISC vs RISC). How ever you can purchase a higher powered PC box
> for less money than it would cost for a SPARC.

user Opteron/Athlon64 - better than both :)

AMD made RISC-like architecture that just runs i386-like code (i386+more
registers and few extra instructions, while lots of mostly-unused
instructions emulated).

possible latest SUN processor may be comparable in speed at 100 times
higher price :)