Sparc dual boot problems

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Fri Jan 6 22:42:01 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "jasonharback" <jasonharback at frontiernet.net>
To: <freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 5:47 AM
Subject: Sparc dual boot problems

> During the partition process it says I will have the option to
> configure the boot
> loader latter.  Right now I can't boot FreeBSD and I have no idea how
> to configure
> this machine to make it dual boot?  I would like to have Solaris 10 as
> the primary
> O/S, FreeBSD as the secondary and Sparc Linux on the third hd.

I don't know if theres a possibility of using a boot loader, but I have
multibooted my sparc boxes from the OFW prompt by writing the primary OS
into OFW config and booting into other OS's using the ofw prompt
(stop-a) and then giving boot command with the disk/cdrom name I want to
boot from. I think neither NetBSD or FreeBSD supports a boot loader on
Sparc but I'm not 100% sure about that. After trying Slowlaris I'm
running all my boxes with BSD's only though.

-Reko